Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Land of a million tomatoes

We planted TWO (only 2) tomato plants in our garden this year. Prior to the fence, we had a bit of trouble with deer and rabbits. So, we put up the fence to protect our veggies. Then our tomatoes and leaves started disappearing... from the TOP of the plant 5 feet in the air.

What in the world could lean over or get under the fence that would eat WHOLE tomatoes and leaves? Well, we found the culprit... a red horned tomato worm. If you have ever had the displeasure of seeing one of these gruesome creatures, you will understand me when I say this thing was UGLY! And they eat more than I can possibly imagine... these little four inch fat wormy things are PIGS!

So, we rid our garden of these guys and in a few days I am wondering if I should have kept them around because we have a TON of tomatoes!! I mean really, it is ridiculous the number of tomatoes we get every other day. Luckily they are tiny salad tomatoes and there are a million things we can do with them, but still... maybe one or two worms weren't too bad an idea.

No comments: